Another lamb stew packed with spices and flavour! Can’t get enough of it and it is so convenient to just let it slowcook in the Wonderbag. To add some extra color and nutrients to the tomato-red stock and the orange root vegetable mash we had steamed red cabbage served with it.
We found some really nice pieces of lamb neck and lamb leg at the butcher, perfect meat for this stew.
Spicy lamb stew
- Lamb meat on the bone, 1-2 kg
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- Brown onion
- Fresh ginger
- Bone broth + water
- Coriander seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Ground sweet paprika
- Ground turmeric
- Cardamom seeds
- Salt & pepper
1. First, dry-roast the coriander and cumin seeds in a pan.
2. Mortar together with the turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper.
3. Toss the lamb meat in the spices.
4. Heat a pot with lard, coconut oil or butter and brown the meat.
5. Place the meat aside, chop the onion and brown it until soft in the pan. When soft, add chopped garlic and grated ginger.
6. Place the meat back in the pan and add the crushed tomato, bone broth and water to cover all the pieces.
7. Add the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon.
8. Let the stew boil softly for at least 30 minutes and place in the Wonderbag for a minimum of 4 hours.
The stew is of course possible to leave on the stove top to finish as well, but a slowcooker is better!
All the spices creates a well needed cosiness and warmth during these cold winter months. To balance the dish, it’s nice to squeeze some lemon juice on top before eating!
Cecilia & Magnus